Sunday, March 15, 2009

What's for dinner??

I had been toying with the idea of doing a weekly dinner post...to share some of my dinner ideas, then the whole family got sick and threw a wrench in my bloggin plans!!

So I just have a couple ideas this week for ya. After I hit up the grocery store and plan some more, I should have some more next week!!

First off, how about some down home barbeque??

Our local grocery store sells beef ribs at a great price, so I picked up a package, threw them in a glass container, seasoned, and let them bake at like 350 for an hour or so...maybe more...(This is not a cooking how to blog!!) After they were almost done, I poured on our favorite bbq sauce. Yummo

Now for sides...Try this: Buy a bag of shredded coleslaw mix, a bottle of coleslaw dressing (we like the refrigerated kind in the produce section) and season your coleslaw to taste. Oh it is soooo good. Crunchy, not soggy.

I found in the freezer section, frozen unbaked bread. It came in a three pack, so I thawed one loaf all day in a bread pan, and baked it before baking the ribs...fresh baked bread!!

And, lastly, in the freezer, had some mixed veggies...boiled them up. We enjoyed our dinner!!


Secondly, What about Chicken??


I love to buy bone in skin on breasts and simply season with salt and pepper. I bake them at 350 for about an hour or an hour and a half. The skin gets super crunchy...(and you can totally peel it off like me) and the breast is so juicy!!!

I picked up some asparagus from costco, trimmed it up, and sauteed them in a saucepan with olive oil and minced garlic. When they had softened a bit, I tossed with parmesan cheese. Yummy.

I served with mashed potatoes as well. I used instant. I know I know...but the secret is to find a good instant...I buy a big box of pouches from costco...they don't taste cardboardish because they are not in a cardboard box.

Lastly, try a casserole!! I actually made a lasagna casserole and an enchilada casserole in the last two weeks. Great for the hubby to take to work...The key is to package it in the plastic containers (so he actually will take it to work) when you put it away. I do have a teensy secret to share which made both my casseroles delish...Make sure you have enough sauce!!! The recipe I used for the lasagna only called for one can of spaghetti type sauce...I ended up using two...and it wasn't dry like in the past!!

Here's my super quick and really easy enchilada recipe:
In a 9x13 dish, pour in a thin layer of red enchilada sauce. (I like Las Palmas)
layer in your corn tortillas, diced onions (if desired), shredded cooked chicken (I love to buy a rotisserie chicken and pull it apart for this), and cheddar cheese. Repeat until you have a top layer of corn tortillas. Cover with sauce and cheddar. Bake at 350 until cheese is melted and enchilada is bubbly. Serve with a dollop of sour cream!!

No comments:

Post a Comment