Sunday, May 17, 2009

Lessons Learned from a successful garage sale

We cleaned up and cleaned out yesterday at our garage sale. YAY us. But, I have to say there are some really really tightwad people out there...especially when I was practically throwing items at people.

Here are a couple cases of what naughty things customers did to us yesterday:
~ I watched as a woman was looking at the baby girl clothes and held up a shirt and something else...(they were 25cents each) she wrapped a dress around it and tucked it under her arm. (I think) and then came to me with the balled up dress under her arm and payed a quarter for all three items.

~ I placed a $2 sticker on a leather wallet that had never been used...a woman brought it to me with a $1 sticker...I was so sure I put a two dollar sticker I even turned it over....she paid $1 and walked away. Later I found the $2 sticker she had peeled off in one of my boxes.
(Really???)

The principle of both of those incidents really bugged me. The funny thing is it is not about the $1.50 that I was ripped off of, but basically that it was a mere $1.50 that those people ripped me off of!!!!

Seriously, I am not one of those garage sellers who is like marking leather wallets that have never been used for $10...I marked it for two freakin dollars. And really, like baby clothes for a quarter a piece...and you have to steal two pieces??? I would have given both women those items at the price they wanted it at...the fewer things left over the better...I hope both of them felt soooooo guilty the rest of the day.

Secondly, Baby items are HOT!!! I mean within minutes of opening the garage door...I sold the high chair, then the swing, and the exersaucer. NICE!

Finally, hubby sold his 22" rims. They have sat in our garage for about 4 years and we have placed them in numerous garage sales...Man, there are some serious shoppers out there...this guy was packin' lots of hundreds in cash.

So all in all, this has been our most successful sale, we cleaned our garage and organized when it wasn't busy, and we made it short and sweet. Just about 3 1/2 hours and it was over. Our day didn't seem like it was gone after the sale was over.

Now to do some bike trailer shopping!! :)

1 comment:

  1. seriously? Some people are so crazy. I'm glad you got all of that stuff sold!

    ReplyDelete