Monday, April 16, 2012

Grace in Weakness


I admit, I was rusty. It's been nearly six years since I've taught school. It's been since 1998 since my last job interview for my profession. (That's 14 years folks) So I was not just rusty, I was terrified about a job interview. Not only that, but it was going to be so different than my last interview.


My first professional interview was easy. I applied long distance, from my University to a school in my hometown. I went to the interview with just the principal. Right off the bat he loved me. His children both went away to the same private Christian college I went to...and he pretty much took me on a tour of the school and I had the job the next day. (I am so grateful for a principal that took a chance on a fresh from college teacher)

Well, 14 years later, there is not ONE elementary job position available. Yes, my degree is K-8, but I'd only used the K-5 portion in all my years teaching. 

I received a call from the business office, asking if I would like to be considered for the two middle school positions available. One Bible, the other Science. Because I absolutely loathe science fairs, I asked to just be considered for the Bible position.  I received a call about a week later that they would like me to interview for the position.  She said, "let me just find your name in the stack of papers here" so I knew there were a lot of applicants.  Some how I found out that there were a total of 16 applicants. 8 for science, and 8 for Bible. Oh, and the interview was to be a panel. of. five. people.

Oh my mercies. My stomach was in knots...I couldn't even remember what a philosophy of education was...but by the grace of God...His POWER is PERFECTED in our WEAKNESSES

2 Corinthians 12:9

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
9 And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

I literally cannot boast in myself about the interview. I had prayer warriors all over the country lifting me up, I claimed the mind of Christ as I sat in the parking lot before my interview...the clarity and rapport that was built in the conference room was only through Christ who strengthens me and I tried to keep from being anxious the EIGHT days I had to wait (with the help of MR ToddlerWhisperer's gentle reminders) before I received a phone call.

I GOT THE JOB!!!!

the congratulatory flowers from Mr T.
linking up with Ruth at Gracelaced and women all over the world for Gracelaced Mondays 
Grace Laced Mondays

8 comments:

  1. I am so so happy for you! I'm thankful to hear how the Lord is leading you and your family. (A little sad, of course, that we didn't get you as a teacher! :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, thanks Ruth. i would have loved to work at your school, but the more i thought about it, the less i really want to home school my kids...so i am returning to what i know. :)

      Delete
  2. That's awesome! You are going to have to call yourself the "middleschoolbiblewhisperer" now! I am so thankful to hear this good news and answer to prayer tonight of all nights. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! Isn't it an awesome feeling to get that phone call. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read this and so excited for you! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I am so very happy about it. Seems like the right time!

      Delete